Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Play Money

It's a lot harder to find play money that isn't American than I had originally thought. Luckily I found some great Canadian play money that I've been giving to my friends for their kids.

If you have any links to non-American money I'd love it! I'm having the worst luck find some. (Of course had to include some American Hello Kitty money, because Hello Kitty! Brainwash 'em young!)

My friends have kids that range from 3 to 5 years old and each of them seems quite pleased with their money (and some credit cards).

Miss Tina's free document has 6 bills on each page so it's a breeze making the bills double sided. 

I didn't make any coins when I first did the bills up but I finally gathered up the effort to cut a wooden dowel into coins. The dowel was about $5.50 from Canadian Tire and was about 1.25 inches wide. I haven't used the whole dowel but I would estimate that you would get around 50 1/2 inch coins, so $0.11 a coin not including the paper or glue. 

As you can see below the dowel is more than big enough for the pennies, nickels, and dimes. The quarters had to be trimmed down ever so slightly where as the loonies and twoonies had to be cut down quite a bit. I found with the layers of glue I put on the paper that the yellow that made up the bear and loon blended into the background too much for my liking so I drew around them with pen. When I laminated the coins the blending wasn't quite as bad.



I kidnapped the laminator from work and bought laminating pouches ($13-ish for 20 pages). Each pouch holds about 8 bills or about 24 coins. I don't know the cost to use my ink or paper but it seems like making 8 bills would cost around $1.00 or $0.12 a bill.

Crafty suggestion: try printing the bills in black and white and having your kids colour them.


I tried using self laminating paper (in a roll form) from the dollar store on one batch and I wasn't very happy with it. It could be  a bit of user error as I hadn't fully glued the sides together thinking they'd be fine but they shifted and wrinkled while I was folding. Perhaps pre-sized and straight self-laminating sheets would work better.

I cut the wooden dowel about 1/2 inch thick for the coins so that they would be easy to handle and find for clean up and big enough to not choke the baby coming soon. Well, my grandpa cut the dowel. You make one little joke about losing a finger and nobody lets you play with the fun toys.

The 3 year old wasn't interested in the coins when she first saw them, claiming they were building blocks. That means her big brother has a chance to use them since she doesn't like to share her bills. She's been turning down the Monopoly money that Grandma offers her now, saying it's not real money. Grandma says they love that the bills look like real money.

The laminated coins will go to the 5 year olds. I thought these might fit in their purses better (purses I've not seen) than the wooden ones. Side note: there was something satisfying about cutting the edges on the loonies.

Why not set up a flower shop or farmer's market? See my play garden here!