Wednesday, October 19, 2016

1,000 Places to See Before You Die

Source


I recently found the book in excellent condition at Value Village and snatched it right up. I went through it kept track of which places I've visited and where I need to go. So far I've been to 19/1000 and will be able to do two more when I visit Japan!

(Another fun book to have is one that tell you where to go and when. My parents have one that has amazing pictures in it from all over the world.)

Now, in my opinion, there's too many hotels that are listed as places to see. I understand these places might be old but surely there's something that that area besides a hotel.

Have you been to any of the places? Are any on your lists to see?




Some Places to See:

  • Land's End, Wales. My grandparents have visited this place and I can't wait to go myself. Land's End is the southernmost and westernmost point in Great Britain.
  • Mont-Saint-Michel, France. This walled island-village is surrounded by water during the high tide and was used as inspiration for Hogwarts.
  • Count Dracula's Castle, Romania. Prince Vlad Dracula supposedly lived in Bran Castle. While Bram Stoker did take many liberties with the real life Dracula his history is still very interesting... and bloody.
  • Odense, Denmark. This is the birthplace of Hans Christian Andersen, need I say any more?
  • Petra, Jordan. So maybe I want to visit this stone city because of Indiana Jones, is that such a bad reason?
  • Ayers Rock, Australia. This giant red rock is a spiritual power center and rusts when it rains.
  • Bora Bora, French Polynesia. This relaxing island looks perfect for relaxing on the beach.
  • Pike Place Market, USA. Seattle isn't that far of a drive from here, I've planned out a trip all ready! 
  • Nazca Lines, Peru. OK, so Indiana Jones might be a larger part of my future travel plans than I'd like to admit. 


Some Places That Have Been Seen:

  • St. David's Cathedral, Wales. This small (by English standards) church is dedicated to Wales' patron saint and was started in the 12th century. 
  • Stratford-Upon-Avon, England. This lovely town is Shakespeare's home town and has many unique and beautiful places to see. 
    Shakespeare's birthplace, Stratford-Upon-Avon

  • Avignon, France. I only had a couple hours in this city but I was able to see the bridge for the French nursery rhyme I had learned. "On the bridge of Avignon, they are dancing, they are dancing..." There's also a papal palace, home of seven popes that had split from Rome. 
    Palais des Papes, Avignon
  • The Rhine Valley, Germany. I was lucky enough to drive through part of this valley and spent part of a day in a quaint town.
  • Rome, Italy.  You haven't seen Rome until you're lost... at night... with two other 18 year olds. 
    Trevy Fountain, Rome
  • Anne Frank House, Netherlands. While I had read the book actually being in the attic where the Frank's hid for two years is indescribable. The real diary is on display here.