Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Popcorn Gifts

At work we do stocking gifts for our coworkers. This year I decided to buy a microwave popcorn maker and make "pucks" of flavoured popcorn. I'm hoping it goes over well because then I can just do popcorn for next year!

I got the idea from here but my first attempt at taco popcorn was not good. I'm thinking it was totally because I didn't completely melt the coconut oil and mix the spices with the kernels. The butter-salt seasoning did much better when I followed those steps and tried again. Good thing I tested that out or the popcorn would have been gross.





I used:

  • 1/4 cup of popcorn 
  • 2 tbsp of melted coconut oil
  • 1/2 tbsp-ish of butter salt


I melted my coconut oil in a glass bowl above hot water as a double boiler. While that was melting I mixed the popcorn and salt in small bowls before adding the oil and mixing again. After that I carefully spooned the whole mixture into saran wrap lined cookie cutters. (Tip: use cookie cutters that have both ends open, not ones that have a top on them.)

I suggest putting the pucks on a plate or tray before pouring so you can throw them in the fridge to help them cool faster.

I'm hoping this idea goes over well because then I can just make popcorn next year!

UPDATE: They loved it! We ended up cooking it for about 2 min 15 sec. 3 min burned some...